Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A short (sneaky) visit

Gabor and I snuck into the ICU to see Gary and give Pam time to get some lunch and run to her car. We talked to him for a bit, Gabor helped him eat his lunch: grape juice, broth, and a packet of chocolate GU; my job was to push the morphine button on command. He's quite coherent, but his memory is still a bit shaky and he gets tired easily.
He got a bit embarrassed when I told him about the blog and how many people were worried about him.

Some highlights of the conversation:
Gary: "I'm cold, I need another blanket."
Pam: "You're not allowed to have another blanket."
Gary: "I don't give a rat's ass, gimme another blanket."

Earlier in the visit:
Me: "I'm going to see what's happening with your lunch."
Gary: "Hey, don't make these people mad .... I gotta live with 'em."

Damn it's good to have him back.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good stuff! Keep the positive, funny updates coming!

Anonymous said...

Of course people care...that's what happens when you are a caring person. Anybody that has seen him at his race knows this. GU he must be fealing better and that is awesome. Next will be sports drink and salt pills. I second-Good Stuff!

Anonymous said...

Another YAY!!! :) :) :) Sachiko

Unknown said...

and another YAY! (never too many) - Dave P.

Andy said...

Sounds like aid station food...he MUST be feeling better to eat that.

Josh said...

Wow... what great news! We're here in Bangkok and there's a group of 9 monks chanting outside the internet cafe... in the strip mall (only in Thailand) Thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date, Fausto!

Our thoughts and prayers with you and Pam, Gary.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary, it's so good to hear that you are improving with each day! Although you haven't been in Waterworks for very long, your presence is definitely missed. So hurry up and get better! We look forward to your full recovery!

Gennie Osmena

Jarom's Running Page said...

Pam...you're the strong one now. Keep your Gary going!!!

Gary, you gonna get threw this soon. I'm giving Monica Otero (in brazil) updates on your progess. So keep giving me good things to say, ok...lol

Jarom (Utah)

Dr. Marc and Tanya said...

Gary,
Tanya and I are talking to our personal friend God, and you will be fine. Love you Man!!
The Johnson's

Dr. Marc and Tanya said...

Gary,
hang in there!!
Love Ya Man!

The Johnsons's

Anonymous said...

Great to hear he's doing well! Gary, we'll continue to pray for your speedy recovery.

- Friends from EPD

Anonymous said...

Breath in Breath out! I think we've all been holding our breath for days! He's out of the woods! I can't say that I'm surprised. Gary is physically and spiritually one of the strongest people I know. The road back is going to be long and hard, but I'm sure he will continue to amaze us all!

P.S. Don't be a P.I.T.A about asking for favors and help. That's the best part about belonging to this running community!