Monday, August 20, 2007

Update from Gabor

The news we're getting back from the hospital continues to be good. Gabor reports that they have been monitoring his kidney funciton, which is showing good signs, but it is still adjusting to carrying twice the load (compensating for the removed kidney). He may need temporary dialisys, but this is still uncertain. His liver is damaged, but the doctors expect it to fully repair itself.

Gary has a fractured vertebrae, which the doctors say should take 3-6 months to heal, but they report no spinal cord damage, and he will likely be on his feet with a brace as his back heals.

Brain scans are showing some minor bleeding, but it is not growing, which is a good sign. They will do neurological tests once they take him out of the deep sedation. They have already started to step down his medication, but they are doing this very gradually.

The doctors have stepped back the respirator, and they are allowing him to breathe on his own, only supplementing his breating as needed (This is a huge improvement).

Pam sends her many thanks for all your prayers and best wishes. She is staying by his side in the ICU, where they expect Gary to remain for 4-5 more days. Once he is out of the ICU, Gary will certainly appreciate your visits. For the time being, check with Gabor for the best time to visit - you can email him at: scorpions69@yahoo.com.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates. My prayers are with Gary and his wife. May God give them both strength. Praying for a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

Our prayers and thoughts go out to Gary and Pam. Everyone here at T&L are praying for your recovery. Please tell Pam that if there is anything we can do - water the lawn, pick up the mail, bring dinner to the hospital please let us know.
Your friend,
Pat (the old guy)

Kiley said...

Hang tough Gary! Positive Vibes and Prayers are coming your way. We've never met or talked. We've had some email correspondences though and I appreciated your kindness. A speedy recovery and my well wishes.

-Kiley Akers

Unknown said...

Good to hear Gary is improving. My thoughts continue to be with both Gary and Pam. Hoping for the best. -Dave P.

sachiko said...

With each update, your condition is improving. This is such an encouragement to all of us praying for your speedy recovery. We will continue to send positive energy and prayers to you and Pam. Stay strong!

Jon & Sachiko

Anonymous said...

So I've heard a few times now how Gary has a long road ahead of him, and I can't help but think of how a "long road" has a completely different meaning for Gary. Stay tough Gary! Our prayers, thoughts, and support go out to you and Pam.

-Sam and Jess

Pat Knoff said...

Thanks to Gabor for keeping us in the loop with this blog. Gary seems like the kind of guy who can fight his way back to good health. I pray for his speedy recovery and wellbeing. Also, prayers for his family and close friends.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Gary. I'm praying for you. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Catra
AkA Dirt Diva

Anonymous said...

You're going to make it, Gary!! You're one of the strongest and most inspirational people I know. You are in our prayers every day.

Your good friends,
-Greg & Anny

Stephanie said...

My best wishes to you Gary! I just met you at Mt. Disappointment. It was a wonderful race, because it was yours! Thank you for all your help and I hope you'll have a fast recovery.

Unknown said...

i was shocked and saddened to hear about gary's accident. thanks for the updates, gabor and fausto. sending my well-wishes and prayers to gary and his family. godspeed.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Gary...

Take care and stay strong.

Jerry Armstrong

Anonymous said...

Gary you are such a postive thinker. I believe that your stellar outlook will help you heal faster. My heart goes out to Pam, this is tough situation but you are tougher! Please know that our thoughts and prayers surround you both.
Mike and Drina Haviland

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates Gabor. Thinking of you too Pam. Stay strong, I know you are. There's a lot of people by your side.
Gary, all of your running friends in Ohio are pulling for you. They send their best wishes on your recovery. You're one tough hombre and I'll be out to run with you real soon brother.
Bruce the Moose

Anonymous said...

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Gary's accident. Then as I thought about it I realized who this guy is and what he can do... He runs 135 miles in the desert for fun. I am confident he is going to fully recover and be back on the trails ahead of the docs predictions. Bruce & I will be out for a run with you. Gabor, thanks so much for the updates.
John Adamski Bud from Ohio